17 July, 2018
Shrimp in Spicy Coconut Thai Food
(Chu Chee Goong Lai)
Curry-like Thai food recipes in which the shrimp are cooked in a spicy coconut milk gravy that gains flavor from the addition of basil. Although large tiger prawns (about 6 per lb) are normally used, smaller prawns or shrimp maybe substituted.
1 lb (500 g) fresh shrimp or prawns
1/2 cup (125 ml) coconut cream
2 tablespoons Red Curry Paste
1 cup (250 ml) thin coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce or to taste
1 tablesppon chopped palm sugar or dark brown sugar
2 kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
Thai basil (horapa) or coriander liaves (cilanto) to garnish
2-3 red chilies, thinly sliced
1. Peel and devein the shrimp, discarding the heads and tails.
2. Heat the coconutcream in a large saucepan or wok over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 5 mins.
3. Add the shrimp and coconut milk, and bring genty to a boil. Simmer over heat for about 10 mins or until shrimp are just cooked.
4. Season to taste with fish sauce and palm sugar.
5. Place shrimp on a serving platter garnished with shreds of kaffir lime leaves, basil and chilies.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Cooking time: 15 mins